Welcome to Keren Automation, In this tutorial, we will learn about Python & Setup in Windows.
- Python is a high-level, widely used general-purpose programming language.
- Python language developed in the late 1980s by Guido van Rossum at the National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science in the Netherlands.
- The initial version was released in the year 1991 and version 1.0 was released in 1994
- The two major releases of Python are 2.x and 3.x which are quite similar but have different individual development cycles.
- Though 2.x and 3.x are using in industry, Python Foundation made an official end for 2.x in 2020.
- So, if you’re starting with Python, it is recommended to start with Python 3.x.
Python Real World Use cases:
Below are some areas, where Python is being used widely.
- Network Programming
- Web and Internet Development
- Database Access
- Software Development
- Desktop GUI Applications
- Science and Numeric
- Games and 3D Graphics
Important Python Features:
- Interpreted Language
- Easy to Learn
- Cross-Platform Language
- Free and Opensource
- A huge set of Useful Libraries
5 Reasons to Select Python for your next Project:
- Multi Operating Systems Support: Since Python is interpreted language, you can run the same code on multiple operating systems without re-compilation. This feature saves a lot of time for development.
- Opensource Frameworks & Tools: Python is backed by a huge community, So, we will get plenty of usable components, libraries, and packages. You can accelerate development by using famous frameworks like Django, Flask, Pyramid, Bottle, and Cherrypy and for GUI applications, you can go with PyQT, PyJs, PyGUI, Kivy, PyGTK and WxPython.
- Simplifies Complex Development Process: It is always a challenge when developers deal with complex operations related to Data. Fortunately, Python is packed with many features related to Data Analysis and Data Visualization that’s why Python became the “go to” choice of AI & Machine Learning enthusiasts.
- Flexible for Test Driven Development: Testing plays very important role in Software Quality. Python allows to code and test simultaneously by following TDD approach. Developers can easily prepare prototypes, later can use prototypes for rapid application development.
- Readable and Maintainable Code: As application growing big, maintaining the source code in understandable manner is very important, here Python wins by allowing us to use English keywords (for Syntax) instead of punctuations.
Python Installation & Setup in Windows:
Few Operating Systems, such as macOS and Linux ship Python by default, this is called “System Python”. Unfortunately, this “System Python” might be outdated, so it is always recommended to have the latest version in your machine.
Windows cannot ship Python as pre-installed, so we need to download Python manually, don’t worry, this process very simple.
Following is the step by step process to install Python in Windows.
Step1: Navigate to Python official Website (https://www.python.org/ ) and click on “Downloads”.
Note1: If you want previous releases, you can scroll down to “Python releases by version number” section.
Note2: If you’re looking for other operating systems, you can click on the below links shown in the image.
Note3: If you want to install 2.x latest, you can navigate to this URL & click on the respective version
Step2: Then you can click on the below files for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Operating System.
Step3: Right-click on file and select “Open” to start the installation.
Step4: You will see the following screen, first select “Add Python 3.8 to PATH” and the click on “Install Now”.
Step5: If Python is successfully installed then you will see the below screen and then close this window.
Step6: To confirm, whether Python is successfully installed or not, run the below command in your machine.
Note: There is no need to set up Python path again since Python is already done this job. If you want to can verify by opening System Properties.