Welcome to Keren Automation, In this tutorial, we will learn about MySQL, Installation & Setup.
All about DBMS:
A database is a virtual container, which stores the data for further processing.
If you want to process the data, you need to have a management system, nothing but a Database Management System.
DBMS is an application software, which manages several databases for processing data. We can do below operations by using DBMS software.
- Creating Data
- Accessing Data
- Managing Data
- Searching Data
Types of Database Management Systems:
Database Management System can be categorized into 4 types, those are:
- Hierarchical DBMS
- Relational DBMS (RDBMS)
- Network DBMS
- Object-oriented DBMS
All about MySQL:
- MySQL is DBMS software, which belongs to the RDMS category.
- MySQL is opensource and offers premium support from Oracle Corporation.
- MySQL was developed by Michael Widenius and David Axmark in 1994.
- Opensource developers love MySQL, because of its license, fastness, and reliability.
- MySQL is written in C, C++
Interesting facts about MySQL:
- In MySQL – “My” is the daughter’s name of co-founder Michael Widenius. SQL is the short form of “Structured Query Language”.
- MySQL’s initial release is 23 May 1995.
- Now Oracle is the owner of MySQL.
- MySQL co-founder Michael Widenius forked MySQL and established “MariaDB”, which is also an RDMS software. The reason is, he felt some insecurity about “Opensource MySQL” after Oracle acquisition.
- Maria – in “MariaDB” is the name of Michael Widenius’s daughter ?
Main Advantages of MySQL:
- MySQL is Opensource – Free to use.
- MySQL has a large community
- MySQL handles large databases
- MySQL provides transactional and non-transactional storage engines.
- MySQL supports an in-memory heap table.
- MySQL Server works in client/server or embedded systems.
- MySQL is fully multithreaded by using kernel threads. It can handle multiple CPUs if they are available.
Big clients for MySQL:
Some of the major companies, who are having MySQL in their tech stack is listed below:
Check some more companies here: https://stackshare.io/mysql
Introduction to Structured Query Language:
- SQL (pronounced “ess-que-el”) stands for Structured Query Language.
- According to ANSI(American National Standard Institute), SQL is the standard language for RDMS systems.
- By using SQL, once you can perform Delete, Update, Access, Manage operations on Database.
- The different subsets in SQL are followed:
- Data Definition Language (DDL): useful to perform CREATE, ALTER and DELETE objects.
- Data Manipulation Language (DML): useful to perform insert, update, delete and retrieve data from the database.
- Data Control Language (DCL): useful to execute GRANT or REVOKE permissions on DB.
- Transaction Control Language(TCL): Allows us to perform Commit, Rollback, Savepoint, Set Transaction on DB.
Introduction to MySQL Workbench:
- MySQL Workbench is a unified visual tool for database architects, developers, and DBAs.
- MySQL Workbench provides data modeling, SQL development, and comprehensive administration tools for server configuration, user administration, backup, and much more.
- MySQL Workbench is available on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
MySQL Workbench Installation & Setup:
Step1: navigate to https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
Click on “Go to Download Page”.
Step2: Download the below version
Note: Login is optional, you can proceed with the download
Step3: Rightclick on the downloaded file and proceed to install
Step2: Select “Full” and click on “Next”
Note: Wait until all products are going to be installed on your machine.
Step3: Click on next
Step5: Enter the root password and click on “Next”
Finally – Click on “Finish”
You can check server connection status by providing MySQL root password
Step9: Search for “MySQL Workbench” in windows search and open the application
MySQL Workbench Homepage:
Click on the localhost connection and provide your MySQL root password.
Finally, you’ve landed on the ground to start MySQL practice.